Friday, June 30, 2017

The Secret Handshake

When I was cycling regularly, it seemed like bumping into other cyclists occured often.  Shaved legs and VERY distinct tanlines made spotting them laughably easy.  Throw in a "Tour de France" T-shirt, and it was a clue for striking up a conversation about routes, training plans, and such.

Ox drovers are a little harder to spot for lots of reasons.  We're as rare as hen's teeth for one, and for
 another, we don't offer any characteristic tells. Truth be told, most ox drovers I know are pretty humble.  They don't seek attention and don't expect to meet other drovers on the street, so they pass by unless fate intervenes.

The other day, my family and I went to Connor Prairie for a short vacation.  I knew they had oxen and was determined to see them because. . . well, if you need that sentence finished, I suggest you look at other blogs.
We walked up to the "animal encounter" barn and a man greeted us.  I asked of they had oxen on the property and he told me about them with only some cursory details.  I assumed he didn't know the oxen well.  We then left and headed for 1836 Prairietown.  I asked there and was told that because they were walking the turkeys, the oxen wouldn't be out today (only one animal can be out at a time).

We explored for a while, found the paddock for the oxen, admired them, and saw the sights, when my mother-in-law called to say they had met the oxen expert and we should come to the "animal encounter" barn to meet him.

Long story short, we went back and met our friend from earlier.  Once Kevin knew that I knew oxen, and I knew that he knew oxen, we had a nice visit.  He mentioned that if I had said something earlier, he would have gotten them out and that I should come back again in the future.

We drovers need a secret handshake.


No comments:

Post a Comment