Saturday, May 26, 2018

Making Tortillas

Cooking tortillas has at least one really fun element. 

I once taught my sociology students to make tortillas from scratch (along with other kinds of 'bread,' as we explored cultural variations) and that was mildly amusing.

My grandma used to fry flour tortillas in hot oil.  They puff up spectacularly and taste even better.  That's a good time.

But, the best time comes when heating raw tortillas, such as these, in a hot pan with a little butter.  If you have a pot of black beans, and some cheese, you can attempt to keep up with the cooking:  Flipping the tortillas by hand until they're done, you fill and eat each one as the next one is cooking. 

I can manage to keep up through three.  I should not be proud of this, but there it is.  With my kids, we can have someone waiting all the way up to nine. 

In the oxen world, I've found my match.  Today, I was cutting grass across the road for Brutus, Cassius, and Zeus- using a scythe, a wheelbarrow, and a rake I made.  Halfway through cutting each load, the chorus would fire back up.  Angry moos let me know that their last 'tortilla' was done and they were expecting the next. 

Maybe I should stick to standing over a hot pan and stuffing burritos in my mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment