Monday, March 2, 2020

Just Like They Said

Ox equipment suppliers may have us over a barrel.  Admittedly, the market for equipment
and supplies - yokes, bows, pins, etc. - has always been small due to the fact that teamsters
can usually fashion their own.  That keeps competition from jumping into a pretty small
pool. Nobody with solely a profit motive would ever seek their fortunes in the world of oxen.  


So what we’re left with is an oligopoly of sorts by default.  Just a few manufacturers and
retailers, which could leave the customer without any leverage, if this were Economics 101.  


The good thing is this is not Economics 101.  


I ordered a few items from New England Ox Supply about a month ago.  A halter, some
hardware for a yoke I plan to build for the MODA raffle (Don’t hold me to it just yet.  My
hatred of yoke making is well-documented here and here), a pair of antique bow pins.  


They arrived on time.  Packed well. Just like they were described.  Quality items at fair
prices.  


We might get lower prices if Amazon suddenly discovered the vast, untapped oxen market,
but we wouldn’t be better off.  


Full disclosure:  My standard rule is to never make recommendations of any free item.  No
kickbacks, no discounts, no swag. If I like it, I’ll say so. If I don’t, I won't.  I ordered the items
since they were sending me a T-shirt for winning the “what’s the historically accurate name for
a pair of oxen since a team refers to several pairs together?” contest on Facebook.  The T-shirt
was free. No review of that. I paid the shipping and full retail on the other items. They are fair
game.

Scroll down for the answer to the trivia question. . .
“what’s the historically accurate name for a pair of oxen since a team refers to several
pairs together?”

























A Span

No comments:

Post a Comment