Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Plane(r) Truth


The new 11', laminated yellow pine yoke is coming along.  Current totals on time for each step:

Layout and cutting 3 center laminations: 1.5 hours 

Handplaning, sanding and glue up of center 3 laminations: 1.5 hours

Drilling bow holes on drill press: 1 hour (probably less, but I started them on the drill press and finished them using a corded hand drill and a forstner bit with an extension. It actually worked pretty well.

Layout and cutting of the outer 2 laminations: .5 hours.

Planing and glue up of outer laminations: 1 hour.

Flattening and smoothing the yellow pine 2 by 12's is by far the hardest part of the job.  Using a jack plane on each works, but I wasn't as happy with my glue lines as I'd like. I'm sure they are plenty strong, just not as nice as I would like, so I pondered other options.

I decided to run the outer 2 by's through my 13' thickness planer, taking 3-4 skim cuts off of the "glue" side. That worked quite well, as I'd just changed the blades. Spurred by that success, I decided to run the beam itself through the planer to flatten and smooth it as well. How did it work? Surprisingly well.

I have a shop-made outfeed table on the planer, so the beam was supported as it came out and it caused a little snipe (uneven cutting) on the end, but overall it worked well with about three light passes per side.  

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have started by running each 2 by 12 through the planer, but that will have to wait for next time.  

Now on to the fun work: shaping and carving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment