Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Snow Days

"Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it."


Zeus on our cold Monday morning.
Kids like snow days.  Not just a little.

But teachers?  We love 'em. 

We just finished up the first semester at school.  Grades.  Exams. More grades.  Prepping for the second semester.  That, and a winter storm last weekend kept me inside and hard at work much of the weekend. 

Then Monday, to kick off the new semester, we had a "cold day."  It was -15 in the morning, and it got up to 9 by midafternoon, but the sun was out and the wind was low, so it wasn't too bad. 

Today, we had an ice storm overnight that made the roads nearly impassible, so we had another day off. 

Both days were not conducive to working the boys, and with homework caught up on, I got to spend some time with teamster interviews.  And I discovered a trick. 
The two-handed set-up for interviews.

I didn't put the necessary time into developing my typing skills when I had typing class in the 10th grade, so transcribing interviews is slow going.  Listen to half a sentence.  Pause.  Type.  Repeat. 

I found out, though, that if I listen on one computer and type with the other, I can go 50% faster.  Still slow, but faster than before. 

I also made some turned boxes and coffee scoops,
but that's another tale.

I finished a nice interview with Rob Flory from Howell Farm and then moved on to a conversation with Brandt Ainsworth from last March, getting about 5 pages done and enjoying listening back to a couple of great teamsters and nice guys.    That's a win for the home team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment